Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Wonderful Heap

box

The other day I walked through my studio yard and came upon a big rusty container full of metal shavings in colours of blueish greys and orange browns. Immediately I got out my camera and took some pics. It was only later that I realised that those metal curls looked a lot like motifs I had drawn not long ago for my digital fabric prints. Most of the digital prints you see at the moment are very “vector graphic”, I liked the idea of more soft, hand-drawn look. So I took a piece of graphite and drew lots of swirls to put on fabrics. When I stumbled upon this intriguing container, it made me think: metal curls were born when tuning and cutting some metal details on a special workbench. Maybe I should develop some pieces of jewellery too, using turning technique and instead of metal I could use… wood! We will see. First of all I have to finish off all the swirly print designs…


swirl
metal curls